Whether you like it or not, the Fedora hat is here to stay! Earlier, when fashion was all about formal dress codes and wearing a hat, you would hardly find a style-conscious man who would leave home without a hat, most times a fedora.
And since then, this versatile hat has positioned itself as one of the most famous hat styles for both men and women. A fedora hat is more formal compared to a flat cap or a baseball cap. Hence, you can dress up with it easily. Also, the hat is adjustable, so if you want, you can keep it casual. However, at times, a fedora has received ample backlash from fashion gurus who thought the hat was taken hostage by the posers, who had zero ideas about how the hat.
What is a Fedora?
Simply put, a fedora is a hat that comes with a pliable brim, which is two or three inches wide. It also has an indented crown and a crease in the middle and is pinched on two sides. It gets made originally from fur felt, for instance, beaver felt. But also, the majority of the fedoras gets made of wool felt.
Today, you will also find a straw fedora that few hat makers make. The other materials used to making fedoras include leather, synthetic blends, and cotton twill. Since you have many hat variations, it is characterized by essential features instead of the fabric.
The Fedoras Over Many Years
Fedora hats and Frank Sinatra goes hand in hand! It was famous as the Frank Sinatra hat as the artist made a statement with his hat during the 1950s and 1960s. Also, old-school Hollywood stars like Fred Astaire and Humphrey Bogart have made a fedora hat immortal. Also, Indiana Jones gave the hat a new rugged aesthetics back in the 1980s.
When you zoom into the modern-day era, you will find several male and female stars wearing a fedora. Some of the famous names include Miranda Kerr, Justin Timberlake, Johnny Depp, and Jessica Alba. All of these stars chose this old-school hat and styled it with a new-age appeal.
Selecting the Correct Brim Size
When it comes to fedora brims, size does matter! Hence, you must know about the dos and don’ts of opting in for the correct style. It would be best if you shied away to play with proportion to find out all that suits you the best.
A fedora hat with a wide brim is a classic look and is the ideal choice so that you stay secured from the scorching rays of the sun. Do you have a thin or an egg-shaped face? If yes, the wide brim can balance your elongated features. On the other hand, if you have a broad head or a fuller face, a big brim might not be the best option.
The short-brim ones come with brims that are less than two inches. At times, people mistake it for a trilby. If you are someone with a large head, it’s best to avoid a short-brim fedora. Today, you will get to know more about this from Americanhatmakers.com.
The Guidelines for Wearing a Fedora
- Everything is about the fit. You should select a fedora that has a comfortable fit. One of the best ways to estimate the correct placing of a finger between the hat and the head. If you have space for the finger, it’s the right size.
- You should know fedoras are felt hats. It is available in several materials. Hence, you need to know where you will wear the hat and add a few varieties to your collection. It will provide you with ample options for various occasions.
- You should keep it basic and simple if you are new to the fedora-style craze. You can get several hat options in neutral shades, such as grey, taupe, ivory, and beige. Each can have the correct patterns and some embellishments.
- Know that various fabric choices and terms can assist you in selecting the best hat.
- Don’t go for cheap options. That doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune on the hat. But it is essential to pay the correct price. For example, standard wool felt fedora might cost you $60. Hence, it would help if you got your homework done about the cost not to overspend and neither choose a cheap hat.
- Always keep your fedora hat clean! Sporting a dirty fedora hat to a gathering or anywhere is not a good idea. So, learn the ways to keep it clean.
Last but not least, make sure to have fun with the fedora! Wearing a hat is not a tough job. You can visit the best online store or contact a leading hat maker and customize your fedora and sport it the way you want.